Saturday, March 18, 2023

Comments are coming back on, but please follow these rules

 As you can see I'm turning comments back on after a cool down time, but I'd ask that you please follow these simple rules. 

1) Please don't spam post. What do I mean by spam post? I've had posts with 1 correction listed followed by another, then another, then another. When it's done in a tourney post, it can result in 8-10 posts. I realize I'm not perfect, but come on, it's not difficult to post multiple things in the same comments post. The last thing I need is to go through 8+ posts when it should have been contained in 1. 



2) Please be specific in the correction. Don't just say it should be Fraschilla, or even worse, Fraschilla. Provide detailed info that makes it easier to find the correction, such as it should be Fran Fraschilla as analyst on the Oklahoma at Texas game. But please obey my third suggestion. 



3) Don't just copy and paste the info with the correction added in instead of what's incorrect in the first place where I can't see it.  For example, if I had this is the Week 4 MLS post, please provide what needs to be corrected is a format similar to this. 

7:30 PM- Toronto FC vs. Inter Miami CF 
Apple TV+: Tony Husband, Devon Kerr- It should be Ross Smith instead of Devon Kerr, or if a name is misspelled, then please say something like it should be Devon Kerr instead of Devin Kerr. 

If it looks like it has just been copied and pasted, I'm likely NOT to see the correction, which is why it'll not get corrected. I wouldn't even mind something like 

7:30 PM- Toronto FC vs. Inter Miami CF 
Apple TV+: Tony Husband, Ross Smith

As long as I can see and identify what needs to be corrected, then it's ok, but something like this fails because I can't identify what's wrong. 

7:30 PM- Toronto FC vs. Inter Miami CF 
Apple TV+: Tony Husband, Ross Smith


4) Please provide time for a correction to be published. Remember, I work 8 AM- 5 PM CDT Monday- Friday, and I also provide tv & radio listings for some local newspapers a few times a week. This also doesn't include prep time or driving time. Prep time before work is a minimum of an hour followed by 35 minutes driving time. After work driving time typically takes me 45 minutes and then I have to take my dog out to do her business followed by dinner. These will always come first. The last thing I need is for a correction to be posted 3-4 times before I've ever had a chance to log on. If I have time during the day I may update it, but that's not always the case. 



5) Please be considerate when you make a post. I have it set up where e-mail notifies me when a comments post has been made, but it does so at all times regardless of the time. 

I've had it where I get 4-5 comments at 2:30 or 3 AM waking me up when I'm trying to sleep. Not only does this wake me up, but it also causes my cat and dog to think it's time to get up and eat or go outside. What could have easily waited another 3 hours to comment on then keeps me awake for another hour plus and makes me extremely tired and grumpy at work, two things I can't deal with as it's my normal job and should be a priority. I would recommend posting between 6 AM and 11 PM CT to avoid this happening. 



6) Please don't post when a team has advanced in a tournament post unless it has been more than 2 days since it occurred. I usually get up pretty early the next day to update tournament posts, meaning they aren't immediate, but even if it's something that's been more than 12 hours it's items that I can find relatively easily. It's more of a nuisance for me to have to read a post only to see it's something I'm getting the info for anyway or that I might already have. If it has a broadcast team that's not listed that's a different story. I'm more than willing to see that posted, because I may not have seen that, but posting just to say DALLAS ADVANCES or GONZAGA ADVANCES and then 2 1/2 hours later GREEN BAY ADVANCES, it's not needed, and it's not truly helpful. 



Finally, 7) If a game or series has the correct teams and it is a neutral site, then please don't say it is incorrect. If it's Fairleigh Dickinson vs. Merrimack at a neutral site and I have it listed as Merrimack vs. Fairleigh Dickinson, don't say it's incorrect. The game IS CORRECT. To me vs. indicates it's a neutral site or tournament unless it is in soccer, in which case it's typically home team vs. road team. I don't really care who is the home team in cases like this as long as the game info is correct. 



Failure to observe these suggestions will result in me disabling comments permanently. I would still recommend contacting me via Twitter, Discord, or e-mail first, but I'm not a grinch. I realize some people may not have these apps or may not even want to get on them. I do appreciate help, but I've illustrated multiple times that I can do this by myself if I have to. Don't abuse the ability to help out if you desire to do so as it ultimately hurts those who want to help out and don't have Discord or Twitter. 

Thank you for your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment